Re: [opensuse-doc] The openSUSE distribution chages are way ahead of documentation?
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 12:22:31 +0200
Alexey Eremenko a écrit :

To Novell: please allow the community to write docs, that will be included in the distro for offline use (in RPM package, HTML format).

as a very lon time linudoc contributor, I know quite well the problem, but have no simple solution :-(

A goos documentation have to be well organised/structured and this is simply not the ordinary way of thinking of most people.

Wikipedia IS a very good information source, but not so well organised (and can't be better, probably).

SuSE manuals used to be very good, thanks to a very good writing team (and probably very expensive too).

The goal should be to have a much bigger (with tranlations) documentation with nearly the same money. I do not have a solution. CVS or SVN are of course a good step forward.

writing and translating doc is a very hard work, and even more as a voluntary work - I myself took some vacation from suse documentation for a month now, exausted by 6 month of continuous work.

the truth is that documentation should be written 3 month ahead of the final product (for translating and printing delays) and this is quite impossible if we always wan to freeze the distro at the last minute

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://lucien.dodin.net