Re: [opensuse-doc] svn co
  • From: Sean Wheller <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:59:26 +0200
On Monday 14 August 2006 10:41, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
> Sean Wheller <sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I am looking to checkout the doc sources from svn. I did an anonymous
> > checkout on trunk from the forge, but it's empty. Did I miss
> > something? Transcript of my checkout follows:
>
> Sorry for the trouble.  The XML files are available as part of the RPM
> source packages.  Since 10.1 find them at
> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/src/.
> Download suselinux-manual_en-10.1-19.src.rpm :
>
>     wget
> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1/inst-source/suse/src/suse
>linux-manual_en-10.1-19.src.rpm
>
> Unpack as root:
>
>     rpm -i suselinux-manual_en-10.1-19.src.rpm
>
> And find APPARMOR-admin_en.tar.bz2 (AppArmor Admin Guide),
> SLPROF-online_en.tar.bz2 (SUSE Linux Admin Guide), and
> SLPROF-print_en.tar.bz2 (Start-Up) containing the source files in
> /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/.  The graphics are packaged separately as
> *graphics.tar.bz2
>
> NB. I changed http://en.opensuse.org/Documentation_Team accordingly;
> unfortunately, I don't know ATM what needs to be done at other locations
> where we might reference the XML source files.

Thanks for getting back to me.

There is some logic behind distributing the sources in this way, but for
collaborative development it seems rather inefficient. If forge has the SVN
repo, I would have thought that this would be a perfect place for
collaboration.

Having to develop out of the rpm and tarbal source is a RPITA with it comes to
creating patches and merging updates from everyone into the distributed
working copies out there.

While I have been using SuSE since version 8.0, I am new here, so please do
correct me if I am wrong on this or have missed out something. probably not
seeing the big picture at this point.

Speaking as one of the people who formalized the Ubuntu Documentation Project
docbook system in SVN. If you think it is worthwhile, perhaps I can assit
with implimenting the documentation system in SVN?

Thanks,

--
Ask me about the Monkey.

Sean Wheller