Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-de (5277 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: Freunde der Liste
  • From: Thorsten Haude <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:15:40 +0100
Moin,

* Michael Raab <raab.edv@xxxxxx> [01-12-05 19:41]:
>Machen wir uns doch nix vor. M$ wird immer mehr zu einem
>Sicherheitsrisiko in Firmennetzwerken. Ich für meinen Teil, werde
>meine Clients auch auf Linux umrüsten. Denn wenn das so weiter geht,
>ist man den halben Tag damit beschäftigt irgendwelche Virenscanner zu
>aktualisieren.
Dazu habe ich einen schönen Text gelesen:
- - - Schnipp - - -
I guess this shows that Windows is not ready for the desktop. Sure,
playing games, maybe coordinating meetings and using a calendar, work
- but email? Leave that to serious systems.

I know, I know, other email clients, etc.

However there is one thing I don't understand, why are flaws which
convert your office network into a disaster area, somehow acceptable,
whereas some esoteric calendar tool is so vitally necessary that
people straight-faced claim that Linux isn't ready for the desktop?

It's not just Outlook either - every damn document format that MS
produces is an attack waiting to happen. Apart from being susceptible
to bit-rott and bloated.

The average user does simply not have the competence to operate a
Windows system safely in an office environment. It's not enough to
consider training costs when switching to Linux, you also need to
consider TCO. That means your downtime, additional maintenance to
repair user machines and lost or corrupted data, when using Windows
systems.
- - - Schnapp - - -
(http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=24486&cid=2656553)

Thorsten