Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-de (4938 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: Windows - XServer als Freeware
  • From: linux.trowe@xxxxxxxxx (Jürgen Dyckerhoff)
  • Date: Fri May 26 07:44:30 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Rettig <maillist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <suse-linux@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 9:23 AM
Subject: Windows - XServer als Freeware

Hallo,

gibt es fuer Windows einen Freeware XServer?
Wo kann man sich naehere Infos hierfuer
beschaffen?

Ciao Peter

MIX server für Windows XY
läuft etwas hakelig ist aber brauchbar

Q: Is MI/X really free?

A: Yes. No strings attached. MicroImages does retain a copyright on
it, however.

Q: Why is it really free?

A: MicroImages gains name recognition and good will. MicroImages
maintains MI/X as the X Server for its professional TNT image
processing, geospatial data management, and desktop cartography
products. In order to make the TNT products work exactly the same
on
all Windows, Macintosh and UNIX computers, MicroImages needed a
robust and stable X Server whose future was not in the hands of
some
other company. (MicroImages also enjoys the irony that some
ARC/INFO
users will run our competitor's product on our free X Server.)

Q: How can I get a copy of MI/X?

A: You can download it from MicroImages' FTP site, or from mirror
sites.
The URL to download MI/X from MicroImages' FTP site in Lincoln, NE
U.S.A. is:
ftp://ftp.microimages.com:4021/pub/mix/mix68k.sit.hqx (for MacOs
68xxx)
ftp://ftp.microimages.com:4021/pub/mix/mixppc.sit.hqx (for MacOS
PPC)
--> http://www.microimages.com in the "Free Stuff" section.
Currently, MicroImages has an Australasian mirror for the MacOS
files only. You can download MI/X from this mirror with the two
following URLs:
ftp://ftp.unsw.edu.au/pub/mac/comm/microimages-x-server-ppc.hqx
ftp://ftp.unsw.edu.au/pub/mac/comm/microimages-x-server-68k.hqx

Gruß

Jürgen Dyckerhoff

"When they knock on your front door.
How you gonna come?