Re: [opensuse-conference] Is it ok to walk through the tunnel below Nuremberg Hbf?
  • From: Amey Abhyankar <sco1984@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 14:30:47 +0530
On 20 June 2016 at 14:00, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 20 Jun 2016 13:06:18 Amey Abhyankar wrote:
Is it ok to walk through that tunnel? Is it safe to walk through that
tunnel in evening hours?

Yes, it's ok. It's used by many people to travel between the old town centre
and the southern part of town. As an alternative, you can walk through the
rail station,

This option looks good.
Is ok to transit from inside train/rail station without any special
entrance ticket?

In India, we need to purchase platform ticket if transiting from
inside train station.
Or even if we are standing inside the station to see off
family/friends etc, need to buy platform ticket.

under the tracks, where there is an exit adjacent to the south
end of the Celtistunnel. Or you could get public transport or a taxi to closer
to your hostel to avoid it altogether.

I am going to commute by foot to explore Nuremberg. ^_^

Germany is generally pretty safe. Be smart and don't walk slowly around the
areas around the railway station area at 1am at night alone with a DSLR around
your neck whilst looking at Google Maps on your phone.

I checked it via Google street, tunnel looks pretty dark as I go
inside virtually.

It's not as dark as it looks on Google Street View. It's not blindingly
brightly lit either, but you can see well enough. There is a cycle lane on
the side of the pavement nearest the road, pedestrians should walk on the side
closest to the wall to avoid cyclists having to dodge them.

That's a good info. I'll be careful.

How much is the estimated time [by walk] to cross this tunnel?

3-4 minutes on foot

HTH

Will Stephenson

Thanks for the detailed information Will.

Regards,
Amey.