Re: [opensuse-conference] IRC feedback
On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Andy Silva <anditosan1000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jos Poortvliet wrote:

Heya,

Lots of people will be at oSC but many can't be there unfortunately. In a
chat
with Christian Boltz (who can't be there either) we thought it'd be great
if
somehow, those not there could participate. Of course this is a general,
and
hard problem. We do use IRC and remotely, some people will participate
like
happened last year.

But wouldn't there be a way to make this more visible? Having an IRC
channel
per room, visible on a second beamer perhaps, or on a screen? What do you
think, is it possible?

/J

Being unable to participate is tough. We are truly a worldwide community and
not always can we be together in one place. There can be instances when our
participation, that of those not in attendance, is needed for some simple
tasks. That is the moment when, I think, Google Hangouts, Skype, or live
streaming is needed.

I do like IRC, but IRC, as well as the other alternatives, need someone in
charge that can update the channel with news and proceeding so that those
attending online can know if this or that event is of importance to them.
Not to mention that it could be of importance to an even wider audience than
the community.

I would suggest, if possible, to feature means of communication with the
conference. However, assign a community participant to update the channels
and add content to it. Last time I was at the openSUSE Summit, I broadcasted
my presentation via live stream, and although it was a good idea, I was
unable to moderate the live stream channel because I was on stage.

we are provisioning for live streaming.

Anything additional I guess falls into the volunteering tasks.
We would need a volunteer per room to monitor the relevant IRC
channel, gather questions from there and ask these questions to the
speaker later on. That means we need an extra laptop in the room, but
I guess pretty much every volunteer will come with their laptop.

Is that what you have in mind Jos?

But this is something we can setup like 3 days prior to the conference, right?

I guess with the right amount of volunteers, we can make this happen
fairly easily.
(We currently have 23 people that volunteered through the 'Volunteers
Form' - Video Team volunteers included).

Is there something you can think of that we need to take care of in advance?