Re: [opensuse-conference] IRC feedback
Jos Poortvliet wrote:
Heya,

Lots of people will be at oSC but many can't be there unfortunately. In a chat
with Christian Boltz (who can't be there either) we thought it'd be great if
somehow, those not there could participate. Of course this is a general, and
hard problem. We do use IRC and remotely, some people will participate like
happened last year.

But wouldn't there be a way to make this more visible? Having an IRC channel
per room, visible on a second beamer perhaps, or on a screen? What do you
think, is it possible?

/J

Being unable to participate is tough. We are truly a worldwide community and not always can we be together in one place. There can be instances when our participation, that of those not in attendance, is needed for some simple tasks. That is the moment when, I think, Google Hangouts, Skype, or live streaming is needed.

I do like IRC, but IRC, as well as the other alternatives, need someone in charge that can update the channel with news and proceeding so that those attending online can know if this or that event is of importance to them. Not to mention that it could be of importance to an even wider audience than the community.

I would suggest, if possible, to feature means of communication with the conference. However, assign a community participant to update the channels and add content to it. Last time I was at the openSUSE Summit, I broadcasted my presentation via live stream, and although it was a good idea, I was unable to moderate the live stream channel because I was on stage.