Re: [opensuse-conference] Inform speakers about video recording/streaming
  • From: differentreality <differentreality@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 17:15:26 +0300
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Ciaran Farrell <cfarrell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 15:44 +0200, Juergen Weigert wrote:
On May 15, 13 16:08:43 +0300, differentreality wrote:
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 05/15/2013 07:50 AM, Stella Rouzi (differentreality) wrote:

Should we communicate during proposal acceptances that the speaker, by
confirming, agrees to be video recorded?

Implicit agreement (especially if there is no alternative offered) is
not good from a legal perspective.
I'd rather ask for an explicit approval on the form. A quick draft:

OK, that makes sense too.

Please checkmark below

[ ] I agree to be photographed or video taped (including public live
transmission) while I am speaker or audience. I'll approach photographers
or the video team if needed.

You'll probably need to reserve rights to store the video (possibly in
another jurisdiction?) and to perform that stored video publicly (not
necessarily just the live stream).

[ ] Recordings, photos and other content I contribute can be redistributed
under CC-BY-SA-3.0 [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/]
or compatible licenses.
I'd leave out the "or compatible licenses" bit as it allows discussion
on what a compatible license is (well, except for maybe expressly
compatible licenses like GFDL-1.3 and even at that there is a limitation
on what can be licensed under CC-BY-SA).

[ ] I have an issue with that. Please contact me.
Details: ___________________________________

Submissions that checkmark none of the above, are rejected.
Submissions that do *not* checkmark the second, or do checkmark the third
item are contacted before acceptance.

I like the idea of the checkbox.

However I am not sure I like the option of disagreement.

In the essence that when you join such a conference you should expect
at the very least that people will be taking photos. Video recordings
and live streaming is what everybody wants from such a conference. And
it's a bit problematic if a speaker does not want to be recorded, last
year's organization can offer more details on that, since there was an
incident.

I mean if you don't want to be recorded/live streamed/photographed,
maybe this isn't the kind of events you should join and talk to?

Is it just me that feels that way?
Because I would love to see the video of a workshop that I really
enjoyed or of a talk that I missed.

cheers,
JW-

We need to provision for the photographs taken throughout the
conference (not just talks), the video recording of talks/workshops
etc and the live streaming (of talks and possibly of the lobby too,
thus mentioning below "live streaming of the venue").

Native or more fluent english speakers could help phrase this correctly.

I am thinking something along these lines:

During the conference there will be live streaming of the venue, lots
of photographs and video recording of presentations (talks/workshops
etc). Please note that by confirming your proposal you agree to be
part of them.

And it should go right after the "... and to get going on your session
material" in the acceptance email.

This is how the acceptance email looks like now:

Hi {name},

we are very happy to inform you that your session proposal

"{eventtitle}"

has been accepted for {conference}. Congratulations! Now it's your
turn to confirm the session.

{proposalslink}

and to get going on your session material. If you're looking for
guidelines on great sessions check out
our tips and tricks!

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Conference_speaker_guidelines#Tips_and_tricks

We are looking forward to hear from you soon. Have fun,

Your {conference} team.

Now for the registrations, we could put sth up in the registration
page itself or in the 'successful registration' email:
PS. Please note that throughout the conference there will be live
streaming of the venue and lots of photographs taken. By joining us,
you agree to be present in them.

And for those interested the relevant task in trello is
https://trello.com/card/inform-speakers-and-attendees-about-video-recording-photos-which-are-publicly-distributed/50c9f6580355c5430700875a/18

Ciaran Farrell, Attorney at Law
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuremberg, DE
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendoerffer, HRB 16746 (AG
Nuremberg)

And it's great that we can get some advice from a person that actually
deals with legal stuff as his real job :)

Maybe we can find a nice solution once and for all.