Re: [opensuse-conference] Conference website - non suckish version :P
  • From: "Stella Rouzi (differentreality)" <stella.rouzi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:12:26 +0200
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey,

On 23.01.2013 13:47, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 23.01.2013 07:45, Kostas Koudaras wrote:
Please keep in mind that we're not trying to give a historical correct
representation of Greek architecture. We're trying to promote a
conference to mainly non-Greek people..

The Parthenon _has_ to be in there :)

I disagree, the Parthenon has no place in the front page. It could be
put somewhere else, eg where the text with the history of the city and
the country is, but not in the front page.

There is only a frontpage. It's a single page site :)

It is like a trademark.

Exactly! For Greece. Which includes Thessaloniki last time I've checked...

Henne Vogelsang
http://www.opensuse.org

Ok that's a bit silly issue to argue...

Thessaloniki has plenty of monuments and places of interest that can
be used for photos/backgrounds/whatever. We don't need to dig around
all historical monuments of Greece (they are simply too many).
Other than that it makes sense to use artwork that corresponds to the
city that people will visit.

Parthenon is a trademark of Athens just as much is a trademark of
Greece. And most people can actually distinguish this monument and
place it in Athens (not just anywhere in Greece and definitely not in
Thessaloniki). On the other hand the same thing happens with the White
Tower and Thessaloniki.

The point is that our photos/artwork should not be confusing or
misleading, not to even one single visitor.

I believe this is what we are trying to avoid by insisting so much on
using things that are familiar to Thessaloniki. So that the right
correlations are made by our attendees.

People that have only visited Athens, definitely remember Parthenon
and seeing a photo of it, they will make the deduction that the
conference is probably taking place in Athens.

I hope we can all agree, this is something we don't want.

@Henne: When can we have this new awesome website available at
conference.opensuse.org ?