[opensuse-conference] Re: mailing lists for conf visitors
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:21:57 +0200
On Wednesday 28 March 2012 14:02:41 Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Hey,

On 27.03.2012 23:51, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
First of all, the summit and the conference need an announcement mailing
list. That's basically an official SPAM list where you put people on who
are interested (just a box on the website where they enter their mail
address, no actual registration in indico needed) and who are
registered.
Why don't you use mailchimp or some similar service for spam lists? :)
They are great for sending out info and can even integrate with our RSS
feeds, you can track returns, have nice multipart mails, wordpress
plugins etc. etc. All you want is right there...

Looking at mailchimp :D

created an account, been playing with it. It's not horrible, but quite a bit
more complicated than just a mail address... And it's hard to manage it with
several people, it seems. Moreover, I can't just add people automatically to
this (people who register should be subscribed without a confirmation mail
send to them). It's OK-ish, just - mailing list is simpler... Why go for
another tool if we can just use our own, familiar stuff?

Then, both conferences should idealy have a opensuse-X-participant list.

Whats wrong with using the general conf/summit list for this?

The one we use to plan our conference? not sure if we want that list
suddenly get flooded with stuff like "is anyone traveling on day X"... I like
Bryen's suggestion to use a wiki more.

List Navigation