[opensuse-conference] Re: [cfp] mailing lists for conf visitors
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:07:34 -0500
On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 04:24 -0700, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Tuesday 27 March 2012 17:08:20 Bryen M Yunashko wrote:
On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 23:51 +0200, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
So I'd like to ask for the creation of:
opensuse-conference-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
opensuse-summit-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
opensuse-conference-participant@xxxxxxxxxxxx
opensuse-summit-participant@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with the points, but find this proposed list confusing.

* I'd like to suggest changing x-announce@. to x-news@. It just sounds
friendlier that way. This is obviously an opt-in list, and not
restricted to only those who register. Your proposal for this is a
good one.

* x-participant. This one I'm not sure about. We can send an email
directly from Indico to all participants of a specific event. I don't
see the need for creating a new mailing list for this. The registrants
are, by default, on a mailing list already. Therefore, there is no
error-prone situation in making sure all registratns are fully informed
on important conference-related knowledge.

The idea behind the participant list was that the participants can talk to
EACH OTHER, as opposed to this being a one-way-from-us-to-them list.

They can discuss logistics like sharing train, taxi or car; sharing hotel
rooms; tips on pretty things in Prague etcetera.

Bryen

Okay, I get it now. Sort of like the neighborhood grocery store
bulletin board type thing. I've seen other projects use the wiki for
that, such as a page to list people seeking roommates, etc.

The drawback of a mailing list is it assumes everyone is on that list
from the beginning. Thus, someone who joins in later after a particular
discussion misses some context or opportunity. Whereas, publishing on a
wiki is more "permanent" meaning it isn't dependent on whether you were
already on ML or not.

For example, if someone posts on the ML in June "I need a roommate" and
someone else joins the ML in August, they'll miss that roommate search.

How about for this purpose, we create a link on the Summit website
called "Community Support" and link it to a wiki page where people can
add themselves to a list and make comments, etc.

As for suggestions to see around a city, Summit has a Location page and
we intend to add more "sightseeing" info on it. We've done things like
that in the past for oSC too.

Would that take care of your intentions?

Bryen