Re: [opensuse-conference] travel sponsorship
On Thursday 07 July 2011 17:12:44 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
On Thursday 07 July 2011 16:15:05 Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On 07/07/2011 02:55 PM, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
<snip>

I will decline, as I want to propose a workshop, and will ask for
sponsoring the hostel. I believe it's not fair to be judge at the same
time.

Hmmm, I dunno. The same goes for a big part of the team, including
Izabel... I think you should just refrain from voting on yourself,
otherwise - just feel free to join.

Please all, review the attached announcement. The exact process I don't have
clear yet. Should we set up a mail address and let people send requests there?
Or could indico help with this?

grtz
Jos
openSUSE announces travel sponsorship options

While the openSUSE Conference team is <a
href="http://news.opensuse.org/2011/06/08/opensuse-conference-looking-for-sponsors/";>still
looking for sponsors</a>, we have enough initial commitments to start the
travel sponsorship process. So if you want to come to the openSUSE conference
but can't afford the travel costs because you're a student or live far away,
read on!

<h2>Time to start registering!</h2>
The openSUSE conference is the place to be for anyone involved with, working on
or taking advantage of openSUSE technology. Which includes the Open Build
Service, the openSUSE distribution, it's deriviates and projects like
Tumbleweed and Factory, openFate, Hermes and Connect, Zypper, libYUI, YaST and
much more.

Yes, it is a wide gamut of topics. Packaging and distribution tools are the
common thread but we also have friends from upstream projects like KDE, the
kernel, Samba, LibreOffice and many other projects there. And of course many
developers from other linux distributions with whom we collaborate on
technologies like packaging (OBS), package installation (appstream) and
low-level tools like systemd.

So if you are looking for a fun event where you can meet your fellows, become
even more part of the Free Software community, learn about what is going on and
help shape openSUSE and Free Software in general - be there!

<h2>Travel sponsorship</h2>
The <a
href="http://news.opensuse.org/2011/05/16/opensuse-conference-2011-to-be-creative-and-open/";>openSUSE
conference "RWX³" takes place in Nuremberg, Germany</a>. That's quite easy to
reach from Europe but it happens that the world is slightly bigger than that.
We have openSUSE contributors living in India, Taiwan, the US, Brazil,
Australia and many other countries around the globe.

The conference team has been looking for a
href="http://news.opensuse.org/2011/06/08/opensuse-conference-looking-for-sponsors/";>sponsors</a>
to aid in the travel costs and set up a team to look at incoming requests. We
would obviously love to support everyone with their travel and hotel costs, but
funds are limited. So this team will decide priorities.

<h2>So who will be supported?</h2>
If you're a speaker for the openSUSE conference and can't afford the travel
yourself chances are quite good we'll support you. Our google summer of code
students are also high on our list, as are contributors who have to travel far
and students who wouldn't be able to afford coming otherwise. However,
depending on funds and contributions, we will try to accomodate as many people
as possible.

So, no matter what your situation is, if you are interested in the openSUSE
conference but you can't afford it yourself, apply for support!

<h2>how</h2>
To apply for support, you need to make an estimation of your travel costs.
Search for a cheap airfare or train trip, look at the hotel options and make a
guestimation of the total costs you'll make. Then figure out what you can
afford and send the info to the conference team (see below).

As a rule, we reimburse 80% of travel and if really needed, 80% of hotel as
well. However we can make exceptions when it's really needed and pay up to
100%, or for example 50% if that would suffice.

you can <a
href="http://conference.opensuse.org/indico//conferenceDisplay.py?confId=2";>register
on the website</a>.
Until August 1st you can send in such requests for travel support via xxxxx.