Re: [opensuse-buildservice] AlpineLinux and OBS
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 09:11:03 +0100
On Dienstag, 31. Dezember 2019, 15:01:54 CET David Sugar wrote:
This is just to raise the question to simply initiate a discussion, why not
have AlpineLinux on OBS too?

On the positive side, it should be relatively easy to adapt since it is
really rather similar to Arch, which is already supported on OBS, but simpler.

On the other hand, unlike Arch, it also has 6 month releases that are
supported for 2 years. I do appreciate those would accumulate over time. It
also has a lot more architectures supported. So I do appreciate that it
could also become a maintenance time sink in OBS.

Also, I have no sense of the real size of the AlpineLinux using community,
and I suspect most use it from the docker and container perspective, which is
a valid and potential community that could benefit from OBS. In my
particular case, I do use Alpine very broadly, and specifically for headless
arm/IoT devices.--

IIRC it uses it's own package format, right?

You could add the support following this HOWTO:

https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build/blob/master/HOWTO.add_another_format

--

Adrian Schroeter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
Build Infrastructure Project Manager