Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Questions regarding building KIWI images on OBS
Hi Adrian,

thanks for the reply!

Adrian Schröter schrieb:
On Samstag, 30. Juni 2018, 07:54:10 CEST wrote Johannes Kastl:

##################################### 1. Why is it that some images
have an "alias" or link in the repository, while others do not have
that? I just can't find an example, though, the Leap15.0 images
seem to have that now.

well, yes, you it is optional. No one is forcing one to have it.

Sorry, I do not understand that sentence. I know it is optional. But why
do some images in a project have such a link, and other do not?

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/ojkastl_buildservice:/CloudImages/images/

There is one called openSUSE-Tumbleweed-OpenStack.x86_64.qcow2, but no
such static link for the other two images? Is this something that needs
to be activated inside the image definition?

#####################################
2. Why do some of the
projects, that are only used for images, have build targets for not
only "images", but also the image's base release? I.e.
Cloud:Images:Leap15.0 has a build target against openSUSE:Leap:15.0
but building the image is excluded.

sorry, you need to ask the project maintainer not OBS developers ...

OK, I thought it was some kind of kiwi-on-OBS special voodoo that
triggers some special behaviour in the background.

Will ask the maintainers.

However, it is pretty normal that you can build all kind of flavors
in one project. The build type only depdends on the repository and
your sources.

Andrian, sorry, but that is general knowledge. ;-)

I was just wondering if there was any sense in adding a Leap15 build
target for Leap15 images, if the image is the only thing in the package
and is only built against the images build target, but not against the
Leap15 target...

#####################################
3. I had some issues with the
this-is-only-for-build-envs package that seems to be a requirement
needed for building stuff. I had copied over the prjconf to a new
project, copied an image from Cloud:Images:... and saw this error.
I worked around it with an Ignore, but should this not somehow be
automatically provided? I found nothing related to that in the
Cloud:Images prjconf or that of it's subprojects.

Yes, this should be handled with special project config rules in our
base distributions which will have an effect to image builds only.

eg. the Substitute for build-packages:kiwi are supposed to handle
this.

However, this should be handled in the base distro already.

OK, I'll have a deeper look into why this was necessary in my little
project. Or if this was a temporary hiccup and is no longer necessary now.

Kind Regards,
Johannes

--
Johannes Kastl