[opensuse-buildservice] Package groups
  • From: Morschhäuser, Mark <Mark.Morschhaeuser@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 09:41:45 +0000
Hi,

currently I need to simplify the installation of about 100 packages with many
inter-dependencies. As rpm and rpm-based installers sometimes install in a very
disadvantageous order and I was unable to cover that via package
requirements*), I created meta packages which are to be installed in a certain
order to setup the software.
A disadvantage is that I cannot uninstall all these packages easily that are
installed by meta-packages.
Now I saw that RHEL based systems have the option to make use of package groups
which are defined in comps.xml files in the repository metadata [1] and I know
that SuSE based systems allow to use patterns (and both are my target
platforms) I would like to read a comparison between meta packages, package
groups, patterns and distribution compatibility and if/how it is possible to
create package groups/patterns with OBS.
Does someone have more information about that topic or can show me examples on
build.opensuse? It seems I am googling the wrong questions :-)

Best regards,

Mark

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_and_edit_comps.xml_for_package_groups

*) Example: Some packages have an absolute requirement that another package was
installed completely before, including all pre, post and other phases; if
zypper/yum/rpm install the packages together, anything could happen - e.g.
alphabetical order or whatever; a simple Requires does not help and
Requires(pre) does not help either.