Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Problem: testing for serious compiler warnings
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 12:50:40 -0500
On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM, Christian <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 19.01.2018 um 22:56 schrieb Brüns, Stefan:
The author apparently lacks any C/C++ knowledge ...
Looks like wolfbeast is not right.
But he is behaving as if he 'wrote' C/C++ himself ...

Note the "unspecified" in the paragraph above.
Thanks for the doc snippet, but as a non-developer I don't understand it.

"unspecified" and "undefined" basically mean that the behavior is not
set on how to handle such a case. That means that it's more or less up
to the compiler. And while the compiler will attempt to resolve the
issue, the way it does is not guaranteed to be consistent,
reproducible, or even sane.

Markus Straver (the author of Pale Moon) develops primarily on Windows
with the lazy MSVC compiler (MSVC 2012[1]), so he won't notice much
from stricter compilers. In fact, last I checked, the project actively
advises against building Pale Moon with anything newer than GCC 4.9
anyway[2]. They don't have CI or bother to try to make modern
compilers like GCC or Clang part of their testing, and do not actively
try to resolve issues detected by the compiler.

I'm honestly surprised Pale Moon is available somewhere for openSUSE,
given how much they go out of their way to make things better on
Linux.

[1]:
https://developer.palemoon.org/Developer_Guide:Build_Instructions/Pale_Moon/Windows
[2]: