[opensuse-buildservice] RE: Re: Let's OBS Understand Recommends to Resolve "have choice for".
  • From: MyungJoo Ham <myungjoo.ham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 01:42:20 +0000
On Donnerstag, 17. November 2016, 12:18:18 CET wrote Andreas Schwab:
On Nov 17 2016, Adrian Schroter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Donnerstag, 17. November 2016, 11:39:16 CET wrote Jan Engelhardt:

On Thursday 2016-11-17 02:53, MyungJoo Ham wrote:

When there are multiple packages available for a specific "Requires:"
entity during OBS build,
even if it is directed to a single package with "Recommends:", OBS says

Because recommends does not specify a hard requirement, it is not
directing.
You have to use Prefer lines in prjconf.

Well, I can follow MyungJoo with his proposal. It is just hard to make
this change
now, because we may risk that older builds are not the same anymore.

IIUC, that would only change build configs that were unresolvable
before, if existing prefer declarations still take precedence.

yes, but you would have more built rpms then and they would suddenly appear
in repos where you did not expect it before.

So, we would need to find a way to make this active only by opt-in.

This change will not change binaries already created without "unresolvable"
errors.
This enables building "not resolved" packages that were supposed to be built
without problems.

One exception is when "A Requires B" and B has additional condidate (X Provides
B) that had been
"unresolvable" due to not recognizing Recommends, which will make A
"unresolvable" unless A/B has
additional Recommends statement.

However, please note that "Recommends" is to be fulfilled as long as there is
no Conflicts
and there is a package that may fulfill it.

If we are to enable "Recommends" for resolving "have choice for" with prjconf,
do you suppose to add something like: "ResolveRecommends: 1"?

Cheers,
MyungJoo