Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: introducing new macros across the whole OBS?
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/11/2016 05:43 AM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Nov 10 2016, jan matejek <jmatejek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 10.11.2016 16:45, Andreas Schwab wrote:
On Nov 10 2016, jan matejek <jmatejek@xxxxxxx> wrote:

devel:languages:python itself builds for distros as old as SLE11. we
might drop that soon, but still there's SLE12_backports, 13.2 and both
Leaps, both of which are "old distros" for the purpose of this
discussion, seeing as they're already released.

So do many personal / topical / private repositories.

We need to support all of that, otherwise nobody will switch to the new
macros.

No problem, set up the project config of devel:languages:python as you
like. That's your anchor.

But then everyone who wants to build a python package would need to fork
from d:l:py. This is not the case in practice.

Any project that wants the updated python-rpm-macros package will either
have to build against d:l:py (or factory) or carry over the
corresponding project config settings. That includes any :Update
project.

Andreas.

What percentage of projects have a python package in them?

Since these are _new_ macros, what would be the danger of adding them
to the base distros: 13.1, 13.2, 42.1, 42.2 and factory.

I think as stated previously, know one has mentioned a way of doing this
without triggering a rebuild of these repo's which is undesirable and
unwanted.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)

Surely someone with backend access to the files could insert the
change without triggering a full rebuild.

Touch can backdate files. If the trigger is in a database hash
compare, a direct update of the hash field could be done, etc.
Obviously its a non-standard process, but I would be very surprised if
it can't be done.

Greg