Fwd: [opensuse-buildservice] Linux scheduler bugs
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 19:24:06 -0400
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 2016-04-26 15:27, Archie Cobbs wrote:

This is an interesting/relevant paper review. I'd be curious to know
how much OBS performance could be improved by implementing all of the
fixes described.

https://blog.acolyer.org/2016/04/26/the-linux-scheduler-a-decade-of-wasted-cores/

Hm why don't you take the patch for a spin and try it out yourself? :)

I finally took a look at the link. It seems most of the bugs are NUMA
related. I don't have any NUMA machines. (Single socket 6-core CPUs
are SMP, not NUMA.)

Does OBS hardware include systems with more than 1 NUMA node. (lscpu
| grep NUMA)

I believe in the Intel world at least, all 6 core (12 thread) single
socket (CPU) are all SMP, not NUMA.

If you have multiple sockets (CPUs) you are definitely into NUMA (per
my understanding).

I'm not sure when NUMA kicks in for an individual Intel CPUs (socket)
(but I know that it does eventually).

Greg