[opensuse-buildservice] Building for Debian modifies binary file by adding a newline
  • From: Timotheus Pokorra <timotheus@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 08:28:09 +0200
Hello,

At Kolab, we have a problem building a package for php composer.
We want to add a binary file (inside the debian.tar.gz).
The file is called composer.phar and starts like a php file, but
actually is a binary file.
Somehow, OBS will add a newline character to the file, which causes a
new md5sum for the file.

We have reproduced it on the public OBS:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log/home:tpokorra:kolab/composer/Debian_7.0/x86_64
with some debugging in debian.rules, printing the md5sum before and
after our current fix.

Here is the discussion on the Kolab Devel list:
http://lists.kolab.org/pipermail/devel/2015-May/015309.html

I have built the package outside of OBS for testing, and it does not
modify the file there.

We are wondering what step in the OBS causes this, and if we can do a
clean workaround, rather than cutting off the newline inside
debian.rules again which seems a bit akward.

We are wondering about debian transform:
https://github.com/openSUSE/obs-build/blob/master/debtransform
but cannot find the place that would cause this.

Thank you for any insight,
Timotheus