Re: [opensuse-buildservice] osc, disable spec file auto format
On Thursday 12 February 2015, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 17:56 +0100, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Thursday 12 February 2015, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 17:26 +0100, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

Is there any way to disable format_spec_file service for any
osc command?

--noservice exists for most commands that would call then.

e.g. osc ci --noservice. But that will disable all services of
course.

I'd like to have --noservice always per default. Or better
just --no-format_spec_file. After years of pain I just want to get
rid of it.

rpm -e obs-service-format_spec_file

But I'am not root on that system and I also want to use it manually from
time to time, like
$ osc service run

The only critical bug is IMO that it runs per default for arbitrary osc
commands. This makes ocs to a VCS which does not want to archive user's
changes. People with different installed osc and
obs-service-format_spec_file always revert each other's changes ...
that's insane.

If there is a problem with the service, it ought to be reported
and fixed.

The main problem is that it does the opposite of what anybody would
expect from a VCS (like osc). After editing some files it silently
changes the files in the critical moment when I want to safe my
changes (commit). There is no way to see what it did and there is
no way to revert these auto-changes. The only fix is to disable it.

Such auto-format thing is something you could teach your editor but
not arbitrary other commands like "osc build" or "osc commit" or
wherever else it's called.

BTW if you have a clean working copy, then "osc commit" even
commits auto-changes without any possibility to review and abort
it. You can reproduce it easily:
$ osc branch Base:System/util-linux
$ osc co home:xxx:branches:Base:System/util-linux
$ cd home:xxx:branches:Base:System/util-linux
$ osc commit
... and it commits broken spec files without commit message ...

The issue lies in BROKEN spec file; and THAT part is what needs to be
reported so it can be fixed;

You may take my "BTW ..." paragraph as one bug report if you want.

cu,
Rudi