Re: [opensuse-buildservice] bogofilter-sqlite (was Re: new package based on the existing one)

On November 29, 2014 6:49:21 AM EST, Gour <gour@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:52:33 +0100
Johannes Kastl <mail@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you all for the help.

If you want to modify a package (e.g. do a version update) and want
get these changes into the repository/project where the package is
from, then branch is your friend.

Otherwise, as the others said, osc copypac creates a completely
independent package, that has the same state and history as the
package you copy from.

I want(ed) to create new package bogofilter-sqlite which is based on
bogofilter but uses Sqlite3 database as storage back-end instead of
default 'db' one.

I just realized, you probably don't want a standalone package like you created.

Instead a sub-package is probably the best choice. Sub-packages are common
with rpm/spec file based distros. I assume fedora has bogofilter-sqlite as a
sub-package not a standalone package as well. [false - I just checked -
<http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=554737> - at least that
package does not have -salivate sub-package].

As an example of a spec file that generates several sub-packages look at the
spec file for
<https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/security:forensics/libewf> [it is one
of the packages I maintain].

It generates a sub-package of python-libewf, which is a set of python bindings
for libewf. Search the spec file for all references to python. They only
exist to get that sub-package built.

===
If I'm right you should start over:

Branch bogofilter
Edit spec file to create bogofilter-sqlite sub-project
Test
osc vc # update the changes file with your changes
Submit your changes back to the main biographer package.

If accepted back to the development project, the maintainer will forward your
SR to factory.

Greg I