[opensuse-buildservice] obs-service-$whatever tooling, packaging
hello,

TL;DR: i'd like all obs-service-* tools to have a Makefile, and i'd
prefer if we could colocate all of them in a single git repository.

i want to package obs-service-* for ArchLinux. most of these tools have
no Makefile, and the build/install procedures are spelled out in their
specfiles in b.o.o. i set out to move the build scripts into Makefiles
since a) i don't fancy reproducing them in the prospective PKGBUILD
files and b) it would do zilch for the future Debian packager.

the various obs-service-* have quite simple and similar needs.
if i went with a simple Makefile per service we'd end up with the common
bits interspersed with the tool-specific ones, which i sense as fertile
ground for divergence. instead, i went for a common obs-service.mk file
which is identical among the different tools, and a GNUmakefile file to
provide that with tool-specific bits.

this arrangement makes it a bit easier to keep the common bits identical
in the various tools, even though it obviously does nothing to remove
the duplication itself; i'm not sure what/if i can do with that.

simple:
https://github.com/roman-neuhauser/obs-service-python_sdist/compare/wip-makefile

local extras:
https://github.com/roman-neuhauser/obs-service-download_files/compare/wip-makefile
https://github.com/roman-neuhauser/obs-service-format_spec_file/compare/wip-makefile
https://github.com/roman-neuhauser/obs-service-source_validator/compare/wip-makefile

obs-service-download_files inspired the $(cachedirs)/install-cache code
which, on a closer look, should be local to that tool, AFAICT there's no
other consumer of that feature.

---

while the above solves the issues of packaging the various services for
different packaging formats and removes *some* of the pain of keeping
the machinery in sync, it does not solve the latter completely. even
with the syncing procedure as simple as copying a file around, i fully
expect the various copies of obs-service.mk to diverge over time.
my suggestion here would be to mvoe all the obs-service-* tools into
a single repository to bring the number of obs-service.mk copies down
to one. is there another way?

--
roman