Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Best way ?
  • From: Florian Leparoux <florian.leparoux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 10:10:29 +0200

Le 05/06/2014 09:43, Adrian Schröter a écrit :
On Donnerstag, 5. Juni 2014, 09:38:27 wrote Florian Leparoux:
Hi,

Sometimes I'm a little confused, and today it's because I don't know
some thing...

The questions I ask myself (and google try to answer as best he can) are
probably easy
for a lot of people :

** How can I manage a project with the same package but with 1,2,3...
versions ?
(Same specfile ?...)
create a package container for each version you want to have in your project.
Ok

** How can I manage the installation of the same package in different
versions ?
(Using /usr/local/package-{xx,xy} ?)
that dependends heavily on what you package.

You need to achieve that you have no conflicting files in any case.

And while rpm can handle multiple installations of same rpm name,
it is usually better to have different package names. Otherwise tools like
zypper/yum/smart/... get into trouble.
I agree with that, I must manage conflicting files.

- When I set in a specfile the tags : BuildRequires, Requires,
Recommends,...
BuildRequires : Only useful for building the package
Requires : Dependencies required to use the program (functionalities, ...)
Recommends : Not necessary but recommended ?
yes. Tools like zypper would install it by default, but it is no dependency
error when you un-install it.

Another question arises in me :
- If I use for example a librairy (%{name}-%{version}.rpm)
The building process (if I don't use *Requires: libxx >= %{version}) use
the latest version
available in the OBS repo ? (true?)
it uses the last build version in the repository. And it cares for the
repository
order in first place.

But If I had a server where I want to install this package do not has
the latest version
but an older version,
** How can I be sure the installation and use will work properly?
** How to ensure a perfect dependency management ?
Require: $name < $version

?
This way is if I can provide or update the dependency.
In the case where I want to leave the installed version, I must install the newer version with a prefix

Do not hesitate to tell me if I understood nothing.

And possibly if you have references that could more advanced explain how
the operation.

Thank you for your feedback