Re: [opensuse-buildservice] /usr/lib -> /usr/share in build package
On 8/14/2013 8:18 AM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Wednesday 2013-08-14 12:04, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

On 08/13/2013 09:33 PM, Brian K. White wrote:
To me that means that an icon goes in /usr/share and a shell function
goes in /usr/lib.

Nope.
FHS is saying: if it is binary (or library), which should not be executed
directly by user, it should got into /usr/lib.
But if it is architecture independent (eg. perl/python script) it should go to
/usr/share. Yes, icons are arch independent so it should go to /usr/share as
well.

Blame FHS for creating this confusion. And then blame distros
actually implementing that.

libexecdir used to be in a past FHS version, and originally(?)
came from the GNU "HS" - if you want to call it such. Fedora
still has libexecdir thankfully. And it's quite clear what it was:

* libexecdir: auxiliary programs not to be directly executed by the user.
Follows /usr/bin, i.e. "just one bitness".
* libdir: arch-dependent pieces, may have multiple bitnesses arranged
in some arbitrary fashion (Debian multiarch looks good;
Perl is one of the layouts used historically)
* datadir: arch-independent, no questions asked.

The arch-independent part sort of makes sense, but a shell (or other) function isn't static and it isn't data.

The "it's arch-independent" aspect doesn't override the "it's active code not mere data" aspect.

Or, if it DOES, then why doesn't that apply everywhere?

Consider it the same as shell or other scripts that you DO execute directly. They are just exactly as arch-independent, yet you still put them in /usr/bin not in /usr/share/bin

Now that I say that. I have no strong reason why there should not be a defined arch-independent bin. Maybe not /usr/share/bin but something.
So maybe we could invent that.

But at the moment that's not the way it works. And so I think we should treat a scripting library the same as an elf library, for the same reason we treat a script executable the same as an elf executable.

--
bkw