Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS Discussion System GSoC 2013 project update for week ending on 05/31/2013
On Monday 03 June 2013 18:52:06 Shayon Mukherjee wrote:
Hello folks,

So, here is my first GSoC 2013 update. From now on, every monday, I will
be updating you all about the progress I am making on - Building a
Discussion System for OBS

Q. What have I done last week?

Well I got the good news about my GSoC 2013 acceptance last week itself
(feel free to congratulate me ;).

Big congrats to you from me as you know I love you AND I love that you're
working on this: having a discussion tool in OBS is really useful and
something I've been asking for for a while :D

So, haven't made whole lot of progress.
Though these two comings weeks (until June 17th) are the community
bonding period, where students get to know mentors, read documentation,
get up to speed to begin working on their projects. That being said,

1. I am discusig with mentor about the working methods for the current
GSoC project. 2. The kind of Resources I have available for the entire
coding period. 3. Finalized on meeting times. We are meeting everyday at
15:00CEST (Monday through Friday) to make sure both are on the same page
and the mentor gets a deeper look into my workings. 4. Initiated a Trello
discussion[1] board where we follow the Kanban's method of development.
Its open to public, so feel free to peak into it and pass your
suggestions anytime during the coming months. 5. As per my proposal, two
of my caveats were writing tests for the code and the openSUSE Hermes
integration. Past week I started with learning testing methods in Ruby on
Rails.

Q. What am I'm doing this week?

1. Going to continue improve my skills with Test Driven Development,i.e,
read and hack more on Ruby on Rails testing methods and practices. 2.
Deploy openSUSE Hermes on my machine. And start playing around with it.
Make sure I am comfortable getting around it and prepare myself
accordingly for the project. 3. Come up with To-do lists as much as I
can. So the mentor and everybody else interested knows what is coming
next. (Note: this is an ongoing process.) 4. Discuss with my mentor and
re-work on the technical timeline. Because, I will be traveling for the
openSUSE Conference 2013 in July and another city in my home country,
which at the time of proposal submission wasn't accounted for. Expect an
update on the same next week.

Q. What I couldn't achieve and Why?

1. None yet !

Once again, feel free to pass on any comments, suggestions, criticism or
feedback you got. I am all eyes and ears ;).

Important links

[1] Trello:
https://trello.com/board/discussion-system/51a5ede2db062a7e6f001b7c
Github fork: https://github.com/shayonj/open-build-service