Re: [opensuse-buildservice] understanding maintenance workflow, reverted fixes

Quoting Ruediger Meier <sweet_f_a@xxxxxx>:

Hi,

I just run into a coreutils bug again which I fixed and sr'ed myself.
Now I try to understand how could this happen.

See the diff -r12:13 in openSUSE:11.4:Update/coreutils below. Why
coreutils-cp-al-symlink-timestamp.patch was reverted. The osc commit log
does not contain any message. This is really annoying.

I can't really say why this happens, but it underlines that a mention of it in .changes is HELPFUL!
Be it only to know that this change was intentional and not just an accident (in the current form, it is unclear... it could as well be a package branched off the wrong tree and re-submitted).

In general, SUCH CASES are the reason why the review team rejects ANY CHANGE to patches (addition, removal, 'commenting out') which are not mentioned in the .changes files.

Hopefully we will be able to prevent such re-occurences in the future.

Dominique