Re: [opensuse-buildservice] who removed steam from games: and why?
On Monday 2013-01-14 15:13, Mathias Homann wrote:

Am 14.01.2013 14:59, schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Monday 2013-01-14 14:21, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

Mathias Homann wrote:
why was steam removed from games?

hijacking the thread a bit... Has anyone actually looked at the
package from a technical point of view? Even if we got permissions
to distribute this I'd still consider it very ugly and hardly
acceptable.
/usr/bin/steam is just a shell script that extracts the tarball that
contains the actual binary to your home and then runs the binary
from there.

That's probably so that $HOME/steam can update itself without requiring
root. Not that that is a justification for the uglyness..

but still, having a rpm package would make it possible to initially pull
the correct dependencies, which would make linux / openSUSE friendlier
to use for the casual gamer.

That's irrelevant because steam ships its own libraries anyway.
The distro integration is ZERO.
Valve providing RPMs (or any distro packages) is a fallacy.