Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE 11.4 ... do not disable repos on EOL?
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:15 AM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
However, I have an idea how to solve this in a different way in future:

* Implement a "remove repository from project" request type.

* Add an option to auto-accept after X time, if the request got not declined.
(Such a request can only be created when the submitter has write access in
target,
but the admin has always ;)

=> That means we would not need to move the projects around anymore, so
nothing
breaks during that. Also more people get trained in re-acting on requests
them.

What do you think about that approach?

That would be a definite improvement.

Regarding this overall question, I encourage everyone to read the
comments on the "We need new ideas" posting [1] ... you will see an
overwhelming number of them are asking for longer support lifetimes
for releases. I think this is good evidence that there are many
openSUSE users who run and maintain systems for many years -- not
surprising thanks to openSUSE's solidity, maintainability, and
reliability!

I don't know what the perfect trade-off is between resource
constraints, maintainer time, etc. vs. longer release lifetimes.
However there seems to be room (and demand) for a better one.

-Archie

[1] http://news.opensuse.org/2012/06/14/where-is-my-12-2-my-kingdom-for-a-12-2/

--
Archie L. Cobbs