Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE 11.4 ... do not disable repos on EOL?
  • From: Archie Cobbs <archie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:26:45 -0500
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Wolfgang Rosenauer
<wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 27.08.2012 12:26, schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
It depends on what the Evergreen team wants. Independently of what
SUSE, the company, wants, if the "openSUSE Project" wants to have a
support period of X years it's OK with me. But the current situation
looks more like this extended support period is just something the
"Evergreen team" wants, not the "openSUSE project" as a whole (am I
wrong here?)

I do not know. How do you know what the project wants?

Agreed. We had a long discussion [1] about this last time (where I got
beat down) when 11.3 got nuked.

Suffice to say, my vote is YES - keep the repos.

Given this, asking the packagers outside of the Evergreen project to
do the extra work to support 11.4 is IMHO not fair.

I understood this is mainly for not moving the official distribution
11.4 repos to another name and invalidate all projects immediately
stacking on it.
Apart from that it's the choice of every packager if he wants to keep
compatibility with 11.4 or not in his packages.

Agreed. I don't think there is any implicit requirement here that all forward
progress must include indefinite maintenance of 11.4 builds. Nobody is being
demanded to do any extra work.

-Archie

[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-buildservice/2012-01/msg00165.html

--