Re: [opensuse-buildservice] openSUSE 11.4 ... do not disable repos on EOL?
Am 27.08.2012 12:26, schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
It depends on what the Evergreen team wants. Independently of what
SUSE, the company, wants, if the "openSUSE Project" wants to have a
support period of X years it's OK with me. But the current situation
looks more like this extended support period is just something the
"Evergreen team" wants, not the "openSUSE project" as a whole (am I
wrong here?)

I do not know. How do you know what the project wants? Who is the
project for you? Do we need a vote amongst the project members to know
what the project wants?

Given this, asking the packagers outside of the Evergreen project to
do the extra work to support 11.4 is IMHO not fair.

I understood this is mainly for not moving the official distribution
11.4 repos to another name and invalidate all projects immediately
stacking on it.
Apart from that it's the choice of every packager if he wants to keep
compatibility with 11.4 or not in his packages.

So if the Evergreen team is happy with the projects having 11.4 in a
"best effort" basis (so with half the packages failing because the use
a macro that is just eye candy, but not supported in 11.4) then sure,
just keep the 11.4 repository there.
But if the Evergreen team wants packages that keep building, IMHO they
should do the work. They should patch its RPM (rpmbuild) package to
support the latest spec files. And for that to work, what it should be
done is redirect the openSUSE:11.4 project to openSUSE:Evergreen:11.4.

It seems you do not fully understand what Evergreen means. It means to
keep 11.4 (here) secure enough to let it run for a longer period. It's
usually not meant that every new package update in OBS needs to be
available for 11.4.
And obviously if a packager decides to provide security updates for 11.4
this is appreciated but noone requires him to do so.

Wolfgang