Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Comprehensive, up to date rpm documentation
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:46:37 +0200
On 2012-07-20 06:32:25 (-0400), Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 4:45 AM, Isaac Hailperin
<i.hailperin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/19/2012 10:39 AM, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:

I was looking for THE definite source of rpm documentation. Have I missed
anything?

Not really. RPM documentation is just bad.

[...]

Then, after a few years of packaging, you get used to it...

... thats what I was afraid of ... anyway, I feel less stupid now. Thanks.

Isaac

Isaac,

You should be aware there is currently a flame war on opensuse-factory
because a few users want the legacy RPM building process to still
work. That is mostly what you will find documented at various places.

opensuse and only opensuse has developed an entire solution
specifically for building RPMs. That solution is the opensuse build
service. The pieces of obs have all been released under GPL, but it
is proprietary in the sense that the other distros don't use it.

There is a public instance of OBS which is used to actually build all
of the opensuse distro RPMs, or you can download and create a local
instance. The command line tool osc is part of the solution and with
the --local-package arg you can in theory build packages in isolation
from OBS, but I admit to having never done that.

Thus you are at a crossroads. Learn the old way which I think Fedora
and most of the other RPM based distros use, or learn the opensuse way
which is 100% different from the legacy way and learn it.

I think the above sounds very odd and is either inaccurate, or
could be formulated better :)

RPMs are still built exactly the same way, using rpmbuild, the
difference is just that every distribution has a set of tools on
top of that to facilitate the build process and managing
dependencies etc...

openSUSE has the Open Build Service, other distributions have
other tools.

But in the end (besides some preprocessing on spec files done by
OBS, but not really important here), it's all rpmbuild with spec
files.

Now, every distribution also has a set of their own conventions,
good practices, as well as proprietary spec macros, because
unfortunately, and how so often, there wasn't enough
communication between parties in order to get a de-facto
standard going.

cheers
--
-o) Pascal Bleser