Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Improving debtransform
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:05:49 +0200
Am Montag, 18. Juni 2012, 09:08:08 schrieb Martin Koegler:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 08:18:33AM +0200, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
OBS offers source services to build packages out of a VCS. But for
dpkg-based distribution, the version number handling is not working.

The version number of the binary packages is derived from
debian/changelog file - updating this
file in the source package is currently not possible.

Therefore I tried to improve debtransform:
https://github.com/e9925248/obs-build

I'm not sure if you've seen the various Debian package modules kept for
building Debian packages on CPAN:
https://metacpan.org/module/Debian::Control

These tools may help you with creating and manipulating Debian control
files and other associated Debian packaging meta-data. The tools are
largely maintained by Damian Ivanov, a member of the Debian perl team and a
long time Debian contributor. They are object oriented which makes for
fairly easy re-use.

Even if you don't want to re-use the code, it might help to look at the
code to find an algorithm or a parsing strategy since these tools are
considered "correct" and produce good debs that can go through lintian
cleanly.

The module does not fit. debian/control just contains the list of binary
packages and their descriptions as well as various dependencies. Changing
this file shouldn't be necessary.

The current deficit of OBS is, that it can't produce debian packages from a
VCS with a consistant version number. To solve this problem,
OBS must be able to adapt the changelog.

Any self modification in the package build (as I currently use as a
workaround for my package) is not conforming to the various distributions
standards.
Such an approch has the additional problem, that you need to invent something
to pass the version number to the build.

The logical place for such modifications is in my option debtransform.
Regarding third party modules, I question, if OBS
want to add a runtime dependency for these to obs-build.

hm, wouldn't it make more sense to modify the changelog file during import if
new sources instead?

debtransform will never be able to write a meaningfull changelog entry IMHO.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH