Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Translated descriptions of packages on software.opensuse.org
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 18:55:48 +0800
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 10. Mai 2012, 16:28:42 schrieb Marguerite Su:
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 10.05.2012 00:20, schrieb Adrian Schröter:
Am Donnerstag, 10. Mai 2012, 01:19:53 schrieb Andrey Gankov:
Hi,
Please tell, are you have any plans to implement display translated
package descriptions for the new software.opensuse.org
I think that descriptions in native language would be a very demand
feature for non-English speaking users.
We have a lot of translations into Russian. Probably translations into
other languages, too, is enough.

We have no plans for that atm.
It should not be hard to implement this though. But the openSUSE distro
packages
do not have translations atm.

You're wrong my darling :)

There is quite some russian in
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/suse/setup/descr/packages.ru.gz

That translations only appear when you do a product build.

But for the standard repos we usually do not have translations, because they
are
not part of the spec file.

Greetings, Stephan

Hi, coolo,

I'm so interested in "how to produce these descriptions"? by using
"%summary(%description) -l ru" tags or by the l18n team?

You can use these tags directly.

However that means that the packager would need to update all translations
for all languages himself.

Since this approach is practically not working (and making also the rpm
database larger and slower) we usually only translate the product medias.
The translations are handled by zypp/YaST then and they come from the
central translation packages.

because I can do in both ways. I'm a packager(obviously) and I have
svn coordinator privilege. I think it's necessary for some packages,
eg: local input methods. a British person can hardly use a Chinese
input method, and he even don't care what it is( eg, I don't even care
Japanese input methods, because I'll not use it in my life time, given
the fact that I'm in my 20s and still don't know even a single
Japanese characters), so why not make it more convenient  for local
persons by avoiding using another language.

but last time (it's been a long time ago) I submit a package with
"%description -l" tag to factory, it was rejected. while what more
interesting is, last time I rejected a package with "%description -l"
tag to M17N, the submitter kept submitting it without removal, and
someone let it be in. oh forget to mention, it's a -l western locale.

so any difference between Factory and M17N in "description -l" policy?

or if packages.ru.gz is made in another way?

thanks for your answer, it's been confusing to me for long.

PS: YaST can't display CJK characters well, they're displayed as
random strings. it's been long. that's why we package our packages
simple and easy by using only English. (summary, description,
changelogs) so can I open a bug report for this? (because as to my
packaging knowledge, these descr are for YaST display only)

sure

Regards

marguerite.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH
email: adrian@xxxxxxx

Welcome back! adrian,

see this bug report: bnc#761974.

it now seems to a bug related to package.en.gz generation.

Karl said it's because en has no tolerance of other UTF-8 characters.

Marguerite