Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Notification plugin fail
On 05.05.2012 10:47, Pascal Bleser wrote:
On 2012-05-05 09:15:16 (+0200), Klaas Freitag<freitag@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04.05.2012 20:39, Pascal Bleser wrote:
I need some help/insight on the notification system in OBS.
I wrote a tiny perl module as a notification plugin to replace
Hermes (we only have very modest needs for notifications at
Packman, Hermes is both overkill and barely documented).
You probably know
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Hermes ?

Where specifically do you think its barely documented? Maybe I can
improve... Not because I want to convince you of Hermes, but
still...

You know what, "contributing" should be renamed to
"installation" :)))

I never read that page which, indeed, contains most of the
installation routine (I added/clarified a few minor bits).
Cool, I take that as a compliment, thanks ;-)

One thing is a bit unclear, or annoying, so to say: hermes has
its own user database with its own set of users, and as no one
is using iChain any more, and probably barely anyone who's
running OBS and Hermes has an IAM setup as on opensuse.org, we
need to duplicate each user manually from the OBS database to
the Hermes database (and have two independent passwords).

I doubt that we can use the same database for both OBS and
Hermes, as I'm not sure the tables are compatible (but I could
check in the code), and I guess that db:migrate on one side is
going to blow up the unknown tables (OBS db:migrate killing the
hermes tables, and the other way around).
Yes, that's a long outstanding bug. The prefered solution should be that Hermes connects to a master user database, the OBS one in this case or any other one. A slim connector would be great and should be doable without abstraction KungFu.

Can you send me an (empty) database dump of the OBS database and I will look into the code tonight if you want to see how we can connect that.

Setting up some SSO solution for OBS, OBS API and Hermes (and,
in our case, JIRA) sounds like overkill and a bag of pain.
ACK.

Actually, that's even a use case that Hermes doesn't cover, if
I'm not mistaken: send an email to a mailing-list when a new SR
is created. AFAICS, every notification that's sent to Hermes is
bound to a user. Or are there some sort of broadcast
notifications too ?
No, because:
I could create a Hermes user for the Packman mailing-list, but
that's only going to help on the Hermes side: OBS will not send
any notifications for that user but, instead, send to whomever
is configured as maintainers in the project.
...thats how its often done. Not sure if the OBS sends stuff at all, and if, I would consider it a bug ;-)

After putting it into BSConfig.pm like this:
our $notification_plugin = "notify_email";

and restarting the srcserver, all I get into the log file is a
SRCSRV_START. I did create a SR but nothing happened.

And it still doesn't tell me why those darn events aren't handed
out to my very simple notification plugin :)
Sorry, can't really help here.

regards,

Klaas