Re: [opensuse-buildservice] overwhelmed by llvm builds?
On 4/24/2012 5:43 AM, Michael Schroeder wrote:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:13:23PM +0200, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Montag, 23. April 2012, 16:02:25 schrieb Claudio Freire:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Greg Freemyer<greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
People tend to branch it instead of adding an _aggregate so a change in the
original package triggers lots of other packages.

Regards.

It's down to 23 builds 4 hours later, so at least they are not in an
infinite loop.

If trying to recover some OBS resources, llvm seems like a package
worth trying kill off some branches / build repos.

I think the problem is that the wiki recommends not to use aggregates,
which seems counterintuitive.

aggregates are indeed only recommended for very extreme cases. And you need
know exactly the disadvantages of it.

Many timas an aggregate is better than a source link, though.
Source links/branches are even worse than aggregates.

But most of the time the correct solution is to just put
the repository with the needed packages in the path. You need
aggregates/source links only if
- the other packages from the repository break your build, or
- you need to have the packages in your published repo.

Cheers,
Michael.

You are very cavalier with those terms like better and worse and correct and "most of the time". Where does this magic knowledge come from that you know what is correct most of the time? You really know all the factors involved in everyones obs projects? That's amazing!

For myself, I'm not as omniscient as you. I can only know about my own project and you are wrong for that one. But hey maybe everyone else uses obs for some different reasons than I do, and so you could still be right overall.

Aggregate is "better" than a link in the way that a bicycle is better than a car. It's cheaper to build, cheaper to ship, cheaper to run.
But none of that matters if the job that needs doing can't be done by a bicycle.

--
bkw