Re: [opensuse-buildservice] about the new web software search
On 13.04.2012 16:28, Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Friday 13 April 2012, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 04/13/2012 06:39 AM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

IMO the new search webinterface is quiet useless now.

You have to do too many clicks just to find out which exactly
versions of a package are available and what particular project it
comes from. In fact it even seems to find much less packages than
available on OBS.

It's not clear on first view how to browse directly into the source
project page where the search hit belongs too. Also IMO confusiong
that project names are shown somehow "human readble" instead of
just using the well known (and copy/pasteble) strings like
"openSUSE:11.4:Update".

Another thing, why you always hide the "show distribution" menu
after submitting the search button? This is very annoying. Moreover
I generally hate these kind of java script pages where the page
back button never does what you would expect...

Generally +1

However, I have to say that I did not participate in the discussion
on the prototype and therefore, somewhat, forfeited my right to
complain after the fact.

Thus, rather than complain, I'd like to request that an "Expanded
View" button get added to the page. The "Expanded View" would then
present the results in a similar way the old search did, with quick
and easy access to the OBS project.

Putting myself into the shoes of the "average user" I have to say the
new search is better, as it gets to the point quickly:

- Search for a package
- Get the results
- Install it

Thus, for the "average user" (if such a beast exists) the new search
is a great improvement.

Yup, allthough even when thinking like the average user who likes to
browse through wizards instead of seeing everthing on one page I would
have at least 2 issues:

1. I'm not blind. Why are all these buttons, search bar and fonts that
big? After expanding the menus/options I have to resize my browser or
scroll around allthough there are only a few informations on page.

Hi,
font sizes are an endless discussion. Could you show us a screenshot showing
where you need to scroll although there is few information?

2. The fat "Direct Install" button probably does almost never show what
I'am looking for. For example searching for "coreutils" recommends me
the same version which comes originally with the distro. But I'd say
going through the web to search for it instead of just installing it
via zypper/yast indicates clearly that I'am looking for something else.
Thus it's simply annoying to let me click through all these search hits
instead of just showing everything on one page.

You are right, in case of packages that are in the default repositories it's
easier
to directly install with zypper.

For those that want/need more info the
details are much harder to come by, unfortunately. Therefore, an
"Expanded View" button would be fantastic, and would meet both needs.

I added an "expand all" button on the right bottom of the page, or you could
simply press 'e'.

Usually I'm using "osc search" anyway but sometimes web search is(was)
easier. So would be really nice also to think about those users who
never use "1 click install" but just want to find and download a
particular rpm as quickly as possible or just want to find and browse
an OBS project which contains a particular package-version.

That's all possible with the new interface, it's just hidden behind 2 clicks to
expand
the sections.

Greetings

--