Re: [opensuse-buildservice] about the new web software search
On 13.04.2012 17:53, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 04/13/2012 11:07 AM, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
On 13.04.2012 14:58, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 04/13/2012 06:39 AM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

IMO the new search webinterface is quiet useless now.

You have to do too many clicks just to find out which exactly versions
of a package are available and what particular project it comes from.
In fact it even seems to find much less packages than available on OBS.

It's not clear on first view how to browse directly into the source
project page where the search hit belongs too. Also IMO confusiong that
project names are shown somehow "human readble" instead of just using
the well known (and copy/pasteble) strings like "openSUSE:11.4:Update".

Another thing, why you always hide the "show distribution" menu after
submitting the search button? This is very annoying. Moreover I
generally hate these kind of java script pages where the page back
button never does what you would expect...

Generally +1

However, I have to say that I did not participate in the discussion on
the prototype and therefore, somewhat, forfeited my right to complain
after the fact.

Thus, rather than complain, I'd like to request that an "Expanded
View" button get added to the page. The "Expanded View" would then
present the
results in a similar way the old search did, with quick and easy
access to the OBS project.

Hi Robert,
in my opinion a search for obs projects should be done in the obs webui
search and not in the enduser software search.
What exactly is your usecase? Listing all obs projects that provide a
package 'xy'?

The use case is to get a display similar to the old search where I can get to
the OBS project with one click and I can see the OBS project path like
"openSUSE:11.4:Update". I think I am after the same
information than Ruediger.

If you are looking for obs projects, or obs project names, I like to ask you to
try
the obs webui search or the osc search, as those are the tools for this.
If they are missing features, we should look into improving them.
In the opensuse enduser software search you will have to live with one or two
additional
clicks for that info I think.

Greetings

--
Thomas Schmidt (tschmidt [at] suse.de)
SUSE Linux Products GmbH :: Research & Development :: Tools