Re: [opensuse-buildservice] about the new web software search
On 04/13/2012 06:39 AM, Ruediger Meier wrote:
Hi,

IMO the new search webinterface is quiet useless now.

You have to do too many clicks just to find out which exactly versions
of a package are available and what particular project it comes from.
In fact it even seems to find much less packages than available on OBS.

It's not clear on first view how to browse directly into the source
project page where the search hit belongs too. Also IMO confusiong that
project names are shown somehow "human readble" instead of just using
the well known (and copy/pasteble) strings like "openSUSE:11.4:Update".

Another thing, why you always hide the "show distribution" menu after
submitting the search button? This is very annoying. Moreover I
generally hate these kind of java script pages where the page back
button never does what you would expect...

Generally +1

However, I have to say that I did not participate in the discussion on the prototype and therefore, somewhat, forfeited my right to complain after the fact.

Thus, rather than complain, I'd like to request that an "Expanded View" button get added to the page. The "Expanded View" would then present the results in a similar way the old search did, with quick and easy access to the OBS project.

Putting myself into the shoes of the "average user" I have to say the new search is better, as it gets to the point quickly:

- Search for a package
- Get the results
- Install it

Thus, for the "average user" (if such a beast exists) the new search is a great improvement. For those that want/need more info the details are much harder to come by, unfortunately. Therefore, an "Expanded View" button would be fantastic, and would meet both needs.

Thanks,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@xxxxxxxx