Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Managing updates in a private obs.
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 17:31:08 +0200
Am Mittwoch, 11. April 2012, 08:24:28 schrieb Peter Morreale:

Hello All,

I hope this is the right mailing list, please advise is not.... Thx.

I'm in the process of creating a private OBS instance to support
creation of a distro for a storage platform. The distro will be based
on either CentOS or openSUSE and contain proprietary application
packages.

The one thing I can't seem to grok from the wiki is how updates are
managed for the base OS using obs?

I think our goal would be to have the ability to create our distro that
included all relevant updates to base OS packages at the time of image
creation.

Regardless of whether we use a public repo instance for the base OS, or
a private one, the repo is static wrt to package updates for the base
distro. So I'm a little lost on how to manage package updates.

This is the same setup as we have in openSUSE. There is openSUSE:12.1 which
is the frozen GA project. And then there is openSUSE:12.1:Update which provides
the updates.

You may want to build your updates directly in :Update project or you may use
our full-blown maintenance workflow as we do support it now in OBS 2.3.
In that case the builds do happen before in special incident projects, (eg.
openSUSE:Maintenance:200 project) and get moved (sources and binaries) to the
:Update project after testing. Also all QA, review and approval steps are
part of this workflow.

Please check

http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/OBS/obs-reference-guide_draft/cha.obs.maintenance_setup.html

for documentation.

I searched through the archives for the last six months and unless I
missed a thread, didn't see anything resembling this...

How do other private obs instances handle this?

Any advice would be welcome.

Best Regards,
-PWM

SUSE Linux Products GmbH