Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Reworking the enduser software search part III, Appstore
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 09:42:23 -0500
On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 17:37 +0100, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
Hi all,
after reworking the software search part of obs which should be ok now,
we focused on creating an app-store for browsing applications by category.

Check out the first version here: http://software.opensuse.org/packages

Please tell me what you think about it and have a nice weekend :-)

Greetings

--
Thomas Schmidt (tom [at] opensuse.org)

Doing a walk-through, I found the following observations (considering
this is "enduser-focused") I chose Banshee as my test case because it
has multiple related packages.

1. Search for banshee

Results: Banshee, description, and long list of sub-packages appears.

The sub-packages section is confusing on several points:

-- I think it would be nicer if this section had its own header to
differentiate it from the main package. Otherwise it looks like it is
simply part of the main package description, and someone with quick
scanning eyes might not catch on.

-- Sub-package list is confusing. items are not separated by a comma.
items are not each given their own line.

-- It is unclear which items are "extra" and which items are already in
the main package. For example, there is one called "core." I'm pretty
sure this one is part of the main package, so why would it be defined as
a sub-package from the enduser's perspective?

-- Probably not possible yet, but would be nice if the Appstore could
actually tell you in advance whether you have "xyz" installed already.
Much like the sweettooth backend on extensions.gnome.org.

2. Clicking on Banshee in search results

-- Direct install. Nice. Again, would be nice if the page could tell
you whether it is installed or not. But probably not possible right
now.

-- Click on "Show other versions" also looks pretty good. I clicked on
12.1 for the latest examples. But once I click on 12.1, I see another
click for "Show unsupported versions." This becomes cumbersome and
somewhat redundant since there is already an entry called "Official
Update." I would *think* that most users would already assume any
additional listings would be unsupported. But maybe that's just my
perception. I find it simply an unnecessary step and should just show
it all at once.

-- The first thing I notice are two links for each 32-bit, 64-bit and
Source. There's no alt-tag to hover the mouse over to explain what
these mean.

-- Clicking on unsupported versions, I see there is a newer version in
GNOME:Apps. The GNOME:Apps is hyperlinked, but the version 2.3.6 is
not. Clicking on GNOME:Apps takes you to the project page for Banshee
in GNOME:Apps.

If it were my choice, I would make 2.3.6 hyperlinked and take you to the
project page. I would make GNOME:Apps link to the main GNOME:Apps page
because I might be curious to see what other items are in GNOME:Apps.
The current method simply doesn't allow the enduser to be curious and
explore.

These are just my two cents observation walking through the process.
Others may disagree with my thoughts, but there it is. :-)

Thanks for the great work, guys!

Bryen M Yunashko
openSUSE Project