Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: openSUSE:Tools dropped 11.3 repo already?
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you could do the following, would it work for you?

At the EOL of a distro:

# clean the repo cache's, this works today I think.
zypper clean --all

# rebuild the metadata, this works today I think.
zypper refresh --force

# populate the cache's with a copy of all the packages you have
installed,  this is new functionality I think
zypper install --force --download-only \*

Then burn /etc/zypp/ and /var/cache/zypp to DVD (or whatever)

Then if you need to recreate a server, its restore those 2 directories and use

zypper --no-remote

==> I don't know if that would put to much load on OBS, or how hard it
would be to add the missing zypper functionality, but it seems
reasonably doable.

Yes, something like that would be a good start. Thanks for offering a
constructive idea. Still, it seems like an unfortunate hack...

Why not set up a new server
http://download-discontinued.opensuse.org/, where right when openSUSE
X.Y is EOL, all the openSUSE X.Y repos are moved there. Once moved,
they would no longer be maintained, but would still be available for
download. They would just be a static snapshot.

Then the original download.opensuse.org could simply send back 302
Redirect responses for the EOL'd repos to fetch to
http://download-discontinued.opensuse.org/ instead.

This would only cost a few gigabytes, one simple copy operation every
8 months, and zero additional packager maintenance burden.

Like I previously mentioned, there is a basic disconnect here caused
by the "port" of openSUSE to OBS. Evidence for this disconnect is
visible in the fact that openSUSE 11.3 itself is still available for
download on download.opensuse.org, yet the openSUSE 11.3 OBS repos are
not.

This solution would simply remedy that disconnect. It seems very easy
and it would solve a big problem for some of us.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs