Re: [opensuse-buildservice] OBS ARM build discussion I would like to start
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:42:11 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 21. Dezember 2011, 11:34:24 schrieb Joop Boonen:
Hi all,

Currently we have the following problem.
Due to security issues we only have native ARM workers for the internal
openSUSE buildservice. For the external build service we only use qemu.

Because qemu is much slower them native ARM builds the external build is
way behind.

Well, it is not that the native build is in a so much better shape ...

So for people outside of suse.com it's not really possible to
fix packages as you don't know if the current status is still valid.

I would like to know how the people in charge of OBS think about this?
Can the current situation be changed or is this due to a security policy?

No. It can be changed when we have arm hardware which support a safe
virtualization. Or someone brings the XEN para virtualiziation for arm in a
state which can be merged with our mainline kernel (I doubt it is easy).

Can we help to solve this issue?
If so what are the problems we are facing and which security should be met?

Did I leave something out or is something now correct?

Actually there is another reason why we need qemu base builds. Our goal should
be to make arm builds part of openSUSE:12.2 project so we get an official
release.

But that means the average openSUSE developer needs to be able to make arm
builds and to debug it.

I only see qemu as a solution here.

bye
adrian