Re: [opensuse-buildservice] deploying the OBS backend to multiple servers
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:22:45 +0200
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the quick and detailed answer!

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 01:12:58PM +0200, Robert Schiele wrote:
This information was gathered by a lot of grepping through the source
code and thus is not necessarily complete or completely correct. What
I'd be interested here is now whether someone could tell me whether
this is correct or what is missing/wrong in this analysis.

I think it's pretty correct.

Ah cool! Just by grepping for file names and variable names. Seems you
have used the variable names in quite a consistent fashion!

The design is:
- one source server running bs_srcserver

[ - one source service server, running bs_service ]

- multiple repository servers, each running a
 bs_repserver
 bs_sched
 bs_dispatch
 bs_warden
 bs_signer

The "multiple" part is not really implemented yet (but it would not
be too hard to implement it).

The publishing part is missing from the list, currently you would
need to run a bs_publish on each repserver host as well. Maybe
this can be relaxed in the future.

We do *not* use NFS. We had many troubles with NFS in the old
autobuild system, thus the obs is designed to not use NFS.

Ok, if you don't use NFS I have one further question: According to my
analysis all three of bs_srcserver, bs_publisher, and bs_repserver
seem to access /build and /db/published. Now if you don't use NFS
those directories are not shared among those and the srcserver will
see different stuff there than the other two. Is that ok or do I have
to do something about that? Or is my analysis just incorrect in that
specific case?

Robert