[opensuse-buildservice] Re: Introducing 0install developers
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:42:22 +0200
Am Wednesday, 15. June 2011, 14:59:24 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
(sending again as it didn't end up on the OBS ML)

Hi all,

I'd like to introduce to you Thomas Leonard and Anders Björklund, two
0install
[1] developers. I recently got in contact with them and suggested they might
get OBS to support creating 0install packages/recepies/scripts.

0install is a different beast than the usual packages OBS builds, but it
seemed to me quite awesome if OBS users could also opt to create 0install
packages. Thomas has already submitted the zeroinstall-injector package [2]
for inclusion in factory.

Technically, 0install is different, but I understand from Anders that it
should be possible:

There is no fundamental difference in making an RPM package from
a specfile, compared with making a XML+TBZ package with 0compile.

In the .rpm, you have the metadata, signature and archive combined
into one file while in ZI you have them separated into two files.

Anders, Thomas, here is the documentation on adding a build target:
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_adding_build_targets

However I'm not sure this'll work for 0install.

So, people on the OBS ML, could you tell the gents if you're interested in
working with them on this and where they should start with getting a 0install
build target?

As far as I understand it, 0install can use any rpm or deb distribution as
base were you build an rpm for example and convert this afterwards into
a zero package.

So, we should think about a kind of post processing mechanism after a package
build.

Does this approach make sense ?

Cheers,

Jos