Re: [opensuse-buildservice] new osc user interface proposal
Am Tuesday, 24. May 2011, 08:49:04 schrieb Sascha Peilicke:
On Monday 23 May 2011 21:26:18 Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Monday, 23. May 2011, 21:19:25 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
Am Monday, 23. May 2011, 18:12:51 schrieb Marcus Hüwe:
Hi,

as a part of our Google Summer of Code Project to cleanup osc [1] our
first task was to define a new commandline user interface for osc.
The current user interface is quite "inconsistent" (with regard to
the expected arguments for different commands) and has some other
"flaws".

In short, great new proposal, I have not many remarks yet, but I will
think about it :)

Just one idea of mine, I would like to integrate requests more smoothly
into osc and also webui. For me this means work as usual as long as
possible and if it does not work due to lack of permissions, the client
should ask for creating a request instead. For example

osc delete $PROJECT

deletes the project. If it can't be done, osc should ask the user to
create a request instead.

One may also offer a standard parameter to enforce the request creation
(because you may want that others check this). This could be done via

osc delete --request $PROJECT

This may be a replacement for the "osc request create" command to some
degree (multiple actions per request would not work with that).

please understand this also as a RFC proposal :)

Do you think it makes sense ?
I'd say 'osc delete' could create a request if you are not a maintainer of
the
target much like the webui currently does. One could argue though, that it
may
make sense to ask the other 10 maintainers before you delete a devel:foo
project. Instead of a request, osc could ask for confirmation if there are
other maintainers or packages in the project. This would create some social
presure to get in touch with the others. If you want to delete sth under your
home: project, nobody cares. If you want to delete, say, Base:System, you
should get in touch with your co-maintainers, not just ask them for
confirmation.

Yes, you should get in touch. However, I do not see how an automatism can help
here.

We could add every single maintainer as reviewer of such a request, but from a
realistic standpoint there will be always some not reacting maintainer and the
request
would be blocked.

This discussion may lead to far away from the original osc UI proposal now, but
if we agree that osc should ask for creating requests in 403 cases (if no
--batch option
got added) this would have an effect on the CLI UI.

good morning
adrian

As a consequence we would need to add commands for all request types in
the api (which is not the case for "submit" for example. I see people
with write permissions

in the target creating requests just for convenience. However, not a
good idea, because it sends out unwanted notifications).

That "submit" command is something I want to do after 2.3 ASAP in any
case.

SUSE Linux Products GmbH