Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Use solid state disks [ssd] to improve obs build times.
On 19/04/11 18:49, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Stephen Shaw<sshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 02:19,<doiggl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello
With the opensuse build service [obs] getting more usage every day
I wonder if this would make a diffence :-

1. Use solid state disks [ssd] to improve build times of package rpms
on, perhaps point the BuildRoot or _tmppath to the ssd's

Reason for asking.
Improve the packaging times during busy times on obs.

Cheers Glenn.

Unfortunately there is a cost associated, but it would be cool to get
a bunch of fusion IO cards and see how they perform.

Here is a youtube video of 1 fusion IO card handling 4500 movies
streaming at once. If I understood it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J5xGwdmsuo

Clearly buying SSD costs money.

But buying a $1000 250 GB SSD for one of the build servers would be
cheaper than buying a whole new server.

So the next time an expansion to the build farm is budgeted, I hope
getting SSDs for the buildroot is considered as an option.

If the thread from 6 months ago is still accurate, having a SSD might
double the compile speed of a build farm node.

Don't forget that workers are very, very write-heavy. This is not the best I/O pattern for SSD; and of course the vast majority of data written during a build-preparation is never re-read.

I've not had time to dig into it but I understand that the MeeGo OBS used SSDs (not, AFAIK, Intel ones) and they failed so much they were replaced.

I'm not sure who has more info about this.

So the message is : try it for a while before buying a whole bunch of them.
(it is still on my todo list).

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."