Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Re: Retrieving package version numbers
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 09:04:53 +0200
Am Montag, 4. April 2011, 21:58:06 schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
* Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx> [2011-04-04 16:59]:
That's unfortunate, is there any reason why this cannot be made
publically accessible?

Yes, the api is for developers in first place. We do not want to have
random load (and some requests can create a lot load) on our server
without control about it.

So we may abadone /public and ask our remote instances to use at login
at some point of time.

The information can already be obtained
as described in my intial mail, although that is quite a kludge
and inefficient as it requires several instead of a single
request.

Just create a user and use /source directly. If that user creates too
much load we can block it and talk back to you in that situation for
a solution.
Otherwise we do need to block entire IPs or access
to /public in general.

I don't think it is currently possible to create per-application
accounts which are not bound to a person but can be distributed
with an application, is it?

right, it isn't.

And I wonder if this should be possible ever, because following our
rule developers first for the api, it should be always bound to persons.

So the application would need to ask the user for login/password.

If we want to have something public for end users, we should transfer
the data to another host on deliver it from there. This host would be
able to work way more efficient, because it does not need to do
all kinds of permission checks.

What is the use case for your example ?

SUSE Linux Products GmbH