Re: [Kiwi-users] [opensuse-buildservice] kiwi's ignore element?
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Marcus Schäfer <ms@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

    <packages type="image" patternType="onlyRequired">
                <package name="wdiff"/>
                <package name="lockdev"/>
            <ignore name="lxde-common-branding-openSUSE"/>
</packages>
Despite this line being inserted into the package list this SUSE
package still conflicts with my branding package.  If I disable
(comment out) the pattern "lxde" this issue goes away, however there
are other packages from the "lxde" patter that I need.

The <ignore> element does not work because the conflicting package is
"hidden" in a pattern. zypper knows about pattern names and how to find
them, thus, Kiwi does not need to build a list of packages inside a
pattern. This implies that Kiwi never sees the
"lxde-common-branding-openSUSE" name as a package and therefore it
cannot be removed/ignored.

This is correct. I implemented the ignore element for the packages
list only. When using another than the zypper packagemanager kiwi
resolves the patterns itself (using satsolver) and in the result
list you can ignore packages which are not pulled in by a hard
requirement. With zypper we just pass the pattern name and let
zypper do all the rest which has the downside that we cannot
influence what is going to be installed in a pattern. The only
solution here is to add the package into the delete section

 <packages type="delete">
   <package name="lxde-common-branding-openSUSE"/>
 </packages>

and make sure your config.sh includes the following function call:

 suseRemovePackagesMarkedForDeletion

Regards,
Marcus
--
 Public Key available
 gpg --keyserver gpg-keyserver.de --recv-keys 0xCCE3C6A2
Robert S.  If you have any way to speed up my subscription to this ML please do.

None of the last few suggestions have worked.  I'm a bit confused on
this issue.  Isn't this rebrand situation one of the more common uses
for Kiwi?  I would have thought that replacing a default SUSE package
with and OEM branding package would be fairly common, no?
I was told by at least 3 Novell guys that the "delete" section is used
to remove the package during the configuration of the installed OS.
So anything added to the "delete" section (in the config.xml/kiwi
file) will not have any effect on this problem as this problem has to
do with the package being installed by the pattern in the image's
"prepare" stages of the build.  Also it appears that adding the line "
suseRemovePackagesMarkedForDeletion" as suggested will also have no
effect on this issue as that script (config.sh) runs after the
packages are "installed" in the "prepare" stage of the kiwi image
build.

What I am very surprised with is that the "replaces" element added to
the package line doesn't work either.  That was really disappointing.
I thought for sure this would work.  The other thing that makes no
sense is how clearly the kiwi docs .pdf file states that if this
problem exists...then use the "ignore" element to resolve it.

So does this mean that I now have to add each package that each
pattern contains and leave out the ones that are being replaced by our
OEM packages?
If so how can we confirm EXACTLY what packages are contained in the
pattern package?  I've tried Yast GUI under Patterns. This proved to
be not an accurate means of  packages contained in the pattern.
Is the rule of thumb that if your doing a rebrand of SUSE you can't
use Patterns in your config.xml /kiwi file?

I noticed (before this branding/replacement issue) that having
patterns in the config.xml file would cause another unwanted issue and
that is after the final ISO image is made and your using the installed
iso/image that you just made with Kiwi if you open Yast's GUI Package
Manager it will got out and try to install tons of packages that were
intentionally left out of the package list in my config.xml file. So
even though only the packages that I wanted were installed (I can
confirm this by just looking around in the working OS) when Yast is
opened it wants to download/upgrade all the packages that were in the
patterns.....I guess that's where it's getting this list from.
So, what is the best way to confirm what packages are contained in the
patterns.  I guess I'll just remove the patterns completely.
Thanks guys,
Chris