Re: [opensuse-buildservice] Ubuntu 10.10 and our general approach for debian based chroots
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:26:57 +0200
Am Sonntag, 24. Oktober 2010, 19:16:00 schrieb Stephan Kleine:
Hi,

I just looked at the 10.10 chroot and it doesn't start because procps can't
run "start procps" in its post install script because it can't connect to
Upstart (obviously).

The problem, and its apparent solution, is documented in their release notes
at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes - search for "Upstart
jobs cannot be run in a chroot." Basically one just has to symlink
/sbin/initctl to /bin/true but I have no idea how to inject custom commands
into the chroot setup so I leave that to you.

Frankly, a distro which needs extra hacks beside the packages is just buggy
from my POV.

A solution here is to build an OBS_FIX.deb which provides this link.

Since I am not that experienced with debian packaging, it would be great if
someone
could do this.

Also, regarding our general approach for creating debian based chroots: Why
don't we simply use "debootstrap"? At least that is what the Ubuntu people
wondered and, after giving it a try, I'm wondering too. It is a simple bash
script (so the extracted debian package "just works" or it could easily get
repackaged into a rpm) that takes the distro, architecture and wanted variant
(minimal, with build tools, ...) as arguments and then automatically sets up
working chroot.

debootstrap would be a full seperate path beside the build script. That means
all
other features, like modifing release numbers, take care about provided file
lists
(so that prjconf settings have an effect at all) and so on would need to get
implemented seperatly.

Also debootstrap is afaik no secure build mechanism (like build with XEN or
kvm).
So we would not be able to allow service side builds anymore.

So, how about we change the approach for debian based systems and simply use
their debootstrap to create the initial chroot and then just install the
dependencies of the to be build package afterwards? Besides being very easy
use and actually working (e.g. it already contains a fix / workaround for the
change that is screwing us over with upstart on 10.10) it would also remove
the "joy" to debug the stuff every few months when a new debian based thingy
gets imported?

Thoughts?

regards,
Stephan